Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Now me and mark, we're quite close. We both have very similar tastes. Like the same books, the same music (mostly), that sort of thing. But there's one thing that is forever guruanteed to divide us like the Berlin Wall. And one of the most unlikely things...

Michael Bay.



now, michael bay is a movie director. I think he makes movies that are fantastic entertainment without a shred of pretension. Pure blockbuster spectacle. Mark on the other hand, hates his movies.

lets be honest. Sometimes, you go to the movies and just want to be entertained. Nothing more. Sometimes you want pure, sheet , unadultered spectacle. thats what mr. Bay delivers. Now, I'm fully aware that mr. Bay has his failings, but there's not been a film of his that I haven't come out feeling anything less than entertained, if not utterly thrilled during the action sequences.

Actually, I know I came out with the line that mark used in his disparing review of transformers that michael bay is the best second unit director in the world. it's true. no one - but no one - can direct an explosion like Michael bay. Ever. But as for emotion or sensitive handling, he couldn't be accused of that.

Lets be honest, Michael bay is a fantastic, brilliant, action director.He'll never be remembered as a Kubrick, or a Bergman. But he will be remembered as someone who made insanely over the top action films like no one ever has before. In fact, If he ever tones down the action setpieces, decides to knock out the product placement and and does something which lives up to his considerable promise, he may well reach the potential he has. In fact, in terms of a filmmaker, he reminds me of Spielberg, but imagien if Spielberg had never, ever done anythign but huge blockbusters, never made a CE3K or 1941, an ET or Color Purple, but instead had a career just of Jurassic park-esque or War of the Worlds stylee blockbusters.

michael bay. Love his movies. Pure entertainment. Shallow and empty, but visually stunning and entertaining in the extreme. I still stand though, that pearl harbor is an unsung classic - so much potential. if only they had just done the attack realtime, like a remake of Tora! Tora! Tora! rather than a shoehorned in titanic-esuqe love story, then we could have had a classic the likes of Saving private Ryan.

Anyway, mark hates his movies, I like 'em. There you go. Two brothers divided by a common cause..

2 comments:

Mark said...

"i miss you as much as they missed the point when they made pearl harbour."

It's that his films can't tell stories in a way that make sense and lack any sense of anything other than KER-POW! Surely, you can understand that the narrative of say "pearl harbor" and "transformers" are, at best, incomprehensible nonsense. Tell you what, the boy can sure direct an action scene, but make a decent movie? nah

Christopher Lloyd said...

I too, somewhat unsurprisingly, cannot bear the 'movies' of michael 'sick' bay, which is where I feel like docking when I've been assualted by one of his so called 'movies'. (see what I did there, with the puns and the ''s . I should really write for NME)